Published December, 2018.
Every week, starting several years ago, I have been publishing op/ed pieces in newspapers in my very red Congressional District (VA-06). In every instance, the audience I am most addressing are the conservatives among the newspapers’ readership. In particular, I am envisioning the conservatives with whom I had a long a fruitful relationship starting in the early 1990s, when we created constructive talk-radio conversations together.
That experience has given me an unusual opportunity to witness how, over time, the right-wing propagandists gradually poisoned their minds by telling them lies and by feeding their hatreds and fears. When I compose my weekly messages to them, I have in my mind the two goals: to bring them back to a better contact with reality, and to the better angels of their nature.
As far as I know, I am the only columnist of a liberal bent who regularly seeks to address the people on the other side of our badly — and deliberately — divided polity.
These are some of those ‘Messages to the Conservatives.’
- Through the Prism of World War II (Can America Rise to This Occasion?)
- In Praise of Escapism
- Is the Spirit of Enmity the Solution to the Mystery?
- To the Conservatives Who Hate Me
- When The Most “Religious” Align with the Least Moral: A Tale of Two Nations
- If Betraying the Nation Won’t Do It, Nothing Will
- There’s No Escaping the Need for Good Judgment
- What If an Asteroid Were Bearing Down on Earth?
- Is Rational Argument Worthless?
- Wanting to Love the Broken in a Broken Time
- Persisting in a Mistake is No Virtue
- The View from Trump World
- Mistaking Things for Their Opposites
- Rural Areas Are Red, Cities Are Blue—Why Is That?
- The Republicans’ Relationship with the Future
- How Can People Believe the Unbelievable?
- What Happened to Those Conservative Patriots?
- Don’t Choose Hatred
- “Freedom of Religion” Can’t Mean Imposing One’s Religion on Others
- A Party of Cheaters
- That Which Unites/Divides Us
- Talk One Way, Walk the Other: The Epidemic of Hypocrisy in Conservative America
- Deep Divisions Among the American People
- The Cult of Personality and the Danger to America
- Dangerous Steps Backward for Humankind
- How Far Would Trump Go If He Could?
- The Gulf in the GOP between the Leadership and the Base
- Obstacles to the Sacred Space of Lovers
- People Who Are Different from ‘Us’ (My Latest Challenge to the Conservatives)
- Clues Today’s Republicans Somehow Ignore (My Latest Challenge to the Conservatives)
- When Good People Support Bad Politics
- Wrong About the Power of the Truth? (My Latest Challenge to the Conservatives)
- Who Cares About Justice? (My Latest Challenge to My Republican Neighbors)
- The Best of Times, the Worst of Times
- Response to a Right-Wing Troll: My Challenge to the Republicans
- What Does It Take to Get It About Climate Change?
- How Will People Handle the Truth?
- Questions for Republican Voters
- Our Inherent Uncertainty About the Future
- America Must Address Its Problem with the Trump 37%
- The Rising Up of the American People
- Why Is Our Commander-in-Chief AWOL On Russia? (Message to Trump Supporters)
- Democracy on the Ropes?
- Trying to Understand My Countrymen
- America’s Role in International Order and, Now, Disorder
- Serving the Few, Conning the Many (The M.O. of the G.O.P.)
- If You’d Believe That….! (A message to conservatives about their credulity)
- My Nostalgia (talking to conservatives about what’s happened to America)
- How Hate Poisons the Political Well (3rd message to the conservatives about their enmity)
- “We’re Right, Everyone Else is Wrong” (2nd Part of Message to Conservatives about Their Enmity)
- If You’re Closed-Minded, Don’t Read This (first in a series challenging conservative enmity toward liberals)